In Home Therapy (IHT)
What is In-Home Therapy and How Can it Help?
What is IHT?
- IHT is a family-driven, strengths-based, outcomes-based family therapy model that takes place in the family’s home.
- One youth in the home is enrolled with IHT, but IHT works with the whole family. IHT provides intensive family therapy to assist in managing behavioral, emotional, relationship, and other needs within the family system.
- IHT is a team-based model including a Clinician and a Therapeutic Training and Support (TT&S) worker. The Clinician provides family therapy and leads treatment planning. The TT&S helps the youth and family to practice new skills and put strategies into place. Together, the IHT team helps the family to strengthen family relationships, improve communication, learn new ways to resolve conflicts, and address the youth’s behaviors in the home.
- The IHT team also provides support, education, and coaching to caregivers in implementing changes at home, in understanding their child’s needs, and how best to support them.
- If the family has other services involved, the IHT team will help ensure that everyone is on the same page and is doing their part to help the family reach the goals that they have prioritized.
How IHT Can Help?The IHT team can help with:
- Family relationships
- Family dynamics
- Adjusting to changes in the home
- Communication between family members
- Managing the youth’s behaviors
- Supporting the youth’s emotional needs
- Understanding one another
- Practicing and building on skills learned in therapy
- Building a natural support network
- Identifying the needs of the youth and family and helping them to prioritize the needs
- Ensuring that everyone working with the youth and family is on the same page and working towards a common goal
To be eligible for IHT, the youth being referred must:
- Be under the age of 21
- Have MassHealth Standard or Commonhealth with MBHP or BeHealthy
- Live in a family home environment (ex. foster, adoptive, birth, or kinship home)
- The caregiver/guardian must voluntarily agree to participate in IHT services.